Friday, October 5

Today might be the Day #3

Shoes

Last spring while in the food court, Lori invited me to watch a video on her computer about shoes. It might have been on Youtube. You’ve probably seen it. Shoes and more shoes. Probably rated R or more. Not good for youth groups. All this talk about labyrinths has made me think about that video and shoes.

Evolution from a guy's perspective
I have to admit, I think shoes are hilarious looking. When I open my closet, I see old shoes, and they are funny looking. My first favorite shoes were wing tips. These huge black anomalies with little holes all over gave my teenage body a connection with the earth. Almost like magnets. Then came earth shoes, which looked a lot like golf clubs on my feet. My toes were higher than my heel, so walking felt like being on a sandy beach without the sand. There was more leaning involved and the shoes allowed my toes to spread out. Birkenstocks were a big hit when I was going earthy. I wanted to be fashionable, so I tried Doc Martens. They looked good (reminded me of my wing tips) but they were so heavy they pulled my knees apart. I’m not kidding. Z-coils are my tribute to the health industry look. And now I have a green pair of Keens; light and airy. I hope they do well in the snow.

All these shoes, by the way, don’t count the fashion and mental statement of my running shoes, Since I took up running late in life (like 25), my first shoes were versions of track shoes. Tigers, I think. Then I quickly became a New Balance person, their being made in the US and all and they weren’t the most expensive kind. Also, I tried a pair of Nike’s and my calf froze up on me the third day. My legs must have gotten in a rut, physically. So I’ve given up trying other brands. Besides, I don’t run right now, maybe not any more.

And I’ve not even touched on women’s shoes, which range from “smart and sassy” to “sexy” to “sensible.” And there’s even more than that. I smile in my head when I look at shoes, especially the pointy ones with heals. I wonder, “what’s going on at the pointy tip where all that air is? What do those shoe prints look like in the snow? Why pink?” I know, I have too much time on my hands and besides, no one has accused me of having hyper fashion sense.

Sometime I’ll go on a rant about socks, but not right now.

All this walking and labyrinthing and shoes is of note because it’s a good a sacred thing to take them off when walking a labyrinth, or for that matter, any time you want a little sacred space.

Moses did this when he came over to watch the bush that didn’t burn, and it’s a cultural thing to take off your shoes when entering some homes. It’s also an anal thing for a relative of mine who has decided shoes on a white carpet are bad karma. Shoes bring in the dirt. (True enough, shoes can bring dirt, but in general, I think white carpet can be bad karma—but I digress).

When we walk the labyrinth indoors, we are invited to take off our shoes. Originally, like white carpet, I thought it was all about dirt. But I have a second take on that now. Removing shoes may be an act of creating sacred space. It might parallel using holy water on entering a sanctuary, or kneeling, or deep breathing for meditation. Certainly, the act of shoe removal for a brief walk is an intentional act to show respect for and invite the holy. And it’s organically stimulating, from a tactile point of view.

So when you want a little sacred time, just take off your shoes. It will help you in your walk on holy ground.

--f


Exodus 3
1Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed. 3Then Moses said, “I must turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not burned up.” 4When the LORD saw that he had turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” 5Then he said, “Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” 6He said further, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

No comments: