Monday, September 24

meditation on long distance #1

Grasping for Energy

Few things in life are as insidious as exhaustion. Not only does weariness tax your body, weariness also is the end of good decisions and awareness. Just ask anyone who has run a marathon. At about the 2/3-3/4 mark, the body’s system runs out of nutrient supply. A person’s body is affected and get wobbly. The brain is affected, too; the result being giving in to the urge to quit. The brain supplies a number of reasons why this is a good idea, among them: “nobody cares”, “it really doesn’t matter,” and “I’ve already proved I’m way beyond average.”

Every three miles along the running route, there is a water station. Runners time themselves from station to station. “Three miles more. I should be there in 24 minutes (or whatever speed is right for the runner. Trust me, runners know their three-mile speed.)

Al this really did happen to me. Years ago I was in the Omaha marathon. This was back in the day when the route ran north from downtown, past the airport and circled through Ponca Hills. At mile 18, I was fine, I thought. I kept looking for the next water station, and it kept not appearing. “I should have passed it by now,” I wheezed. I kept running, but still no water station. My mind went nuts. I figured the marathon organizers had failed to put the station where it belonged. They had in fact, removed it to make the run even tougher than it was. Outrageous! I’m going to quit and show them, I concluded. Soon, I was walking instead of running, cursing my bad luck, my stupidity for being suckered into this race and all the time I’d spent training. I blamed everyone I could think of. My thought process was kaput.

Then I was passed by a runner. “Where’s the water?” I pled. “Up ahead. Keep running.” I did and it was up ahead. The reality was that I was slowing down because I was tired. And I was out of energy. I knew it was going to be a battle to finish, but at least I knew that that’s what it was.

This week, as you settle into a rhythm and routine of school and work, I’ll be encouraging you to get to the next water station and keep going. I also encourage you to get some sleep and let your body recover, so you can make the best decisions you can.

After all, this is a marathon you’re in—it’s either a marathon this week, this semester, this degree, or this life. Whatever you’re running, it’s spreading out before you and it’s a long way to go.

Today, just recognize it’s a long way, make sure you have the right shoes for the run, (Ephesians 6:15 -- 15As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace) know where the run is headed, and why you’re in the race in the first place. Know what the reward is.


Matthew 25
25At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; 26yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

No comments: