Tuesday, November 20

Getting along without portal 25

Getting along without portal 25

I felt like I had been robbed. It all started innocently enough. My external hard drive was inadvertently disconnected at a totally inappropriate time. Or maybe it was something else. Who knows? Anyway, after six hours of working with experts, I determined to reorganize my data structure by upgrading to Leopard. I’d toyed with making that change anyway, but I didn’t want to spend the money. For a variety of reasons, though, it was the best option. The result was whizzbang, except for a few minor problems. Like, my computer could receive email, but not send it in the usual way. So I’d upgraded and gone backwards. I felt robbed.

Instead of the lovely and elegant email system, I was forced to use the internet version, which of course, is clumsy. And I could not use my address book. My address book has your email address in it along with others who get these devotions. That’s why nothing came to you last week. I could have entered your email into the internet version of Cox, but that would have taken time, and that was something not available at the time.

Finally, on my second try, a collaborator at Cox took me through a few steps, ending in the “advanced” area, and finally asked. “What portal is listed?”

““995” is what listed, and the SSL is checked”

“It shouldn’t be. It should be portal 25 and uncheck the SSL.”

That solved that problem. It just took persistence, the right person, the right knowledge, the right portal. And the whole thing was humbling. Hard on me, it was. I had to be persistent and ask for help.

Luke 18: 1
“Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart. He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, “grant me justice against my opponent. For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, “though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone. yet because I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.’” And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

The widow was probably tired out, too. I wonder if she was humbled? Is that what Jesus was saying was important?

“At no time in the history of civilization is humility needed more than in this era of globalization and information technology. There is a need for new visionary leaders in this generation and the generation to come who can conduct themselves with humility even among members of their individual families, organizations, and civil society as a whole. Although using humility as a strategy in pursuit of life is no longer popular, humility is the only virtue that has proven to defeat the banal exploitative nature of some members of the Group of Eight nations, the architects and staunchest advocates of globalization; a 21st century version of colonialization.” Carlos Madrazo, development worker for the Christian Church and UCC, Indonesia. Read more at: http://www.globalministries.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1035&Itemid=140

No comments: